Brexit & driving in Europe

Brexit & driving in Europe

It is increasingly likely Britain will leave the European Union on the 31st October 2019 without an agreement in place.

A no-deal Brexit will mean that you will need a physical document, known as a Green Card, to drive in most European countries in the future.

What do you need to do now?

If you are not planning on driving in the EU in the near future, there is nothing to do. However, if you are outside of the UK on (or around) the 31st October, you will need to call us at least three weeks before your departure to ensure you can receive a Green Card in good time.

If Britain leaves the EU, without a deal in place, it will be a legal requirement to carry a Green Card if driving in any EU country or Liechtenstein, Norway, Iceland, Switzerland, Serbia and Andorra.

What is a green card?

The Green Card has information about your vehicle such as its licence plate number and demonstrates that you have the necessary minimum motor insurance cover in place to be on the road. Drivers have to physically carry the Green Card (printed on green paper) with them.

A separate Green Card will be required for all trailers, but please be aware that all commercial trailers of 750kg or over and any trailer of 3500kg or over, must be individually registered if being used outside of the UK. Please let us know the details of all trailers being used outside the UK.

What happens if Britain leaves the EU with a withdrawal agreement?

If Britain secures a withdrawal agreement before Brexit, you can drive in the EU as you would normally. We acknowledge that this is a developing situation, so we will be providing updated information on Brexit in due course.